Monday, April 6, 2015

Let's spice things up!





I really do depend on my supply of  dried spices and herbs.  I haven't counted them, but I have quite a few in my pantry.  I also keep a few more fragile ones in my freezer.   I won't list them all, because it's quite an extensive list. 







I buy almost all of my dried spices and herbs online, both because they are much fresher than what I can buy in the grocery store, and because I can buy them cheaper.  For the ones I use frequently, I buy them in bags.  I replenish my spice jars out of those bags and store the rest of the bag in the freezer.  I buy from a company called Penzey's, (no affiliation to this company).  Because I subscribe to their magazine, (free), I almost always have a coupon for a free spice or herb.  Most of the time they also tuck a second free item in my order.  I have found many spice blends that I love because they were sent to me as a  freebie. 


I also buy their vanilla beans and make my own vanilla extract.  The vanilla beans are very pricey, but I just combine them with cheap vodka, and it comes out much cheaper and better than store bought vanilla.  This makes a great gift also. 

If I didn't have my pantry full of dried spices and herbs, my meals would not be nearly as tasty.  I also use fresh herbs and will soon be planting some of my favorites. 



2 comments:

  1. I bought some vanilla the other day that said it contained bourbon, could you make vanilla with bourbon instead of vodka?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vodka has the most neutral flavor, which is why I use it. Also bourbon, brandy, and rum can be used. Once I used brandy, because I had some left over, and it was just fine.

    ReplyDelete