Friday, April 24, 2015

Drunken Beans

The proper name for this recipe is borracho beans, which means drunken beans because they are cooked with beer.  I have ordered these many times in my favorite Mexican food restaurant, but never knew what they meant or that there was beer in the recipe.

I have never cared for the taste or smell of beer.  I do like the yeasty taste it gives when cooked in a recipe, however.  The borracho beans I had eaten in the past had two kinds of meat in them, chicken stock, and were missing some ingredients I thought would be great in them, so I came up with a recipe that works for us.   

The hardest part for me was obtaining beer for the recipe.  I did not want to buy a six pack, since it would probably sit around our house until it went out of date.  I just wanted one bottle or can, so I figured I had to go to a convenience store to get it.  I had no idea there were so many kinds, strawberry beer, lime beer, tomato beer.  I just wanted plain beer, and it got a little embarrassing how long I stood staring at the beer in this busy convenience store.  I finally grabbed one and made my way to the checkout.  It may have been my imagination, but I really think the clerk was giving me a little judgmental attitude about my buying a cold beer at 10 a.m.  Okay, it was probably just my imagination.

BORRACHO BEANS (DRUNKEN BEANS)

2 lbs. pinto beans
olive oil, coconut oil, or vegetable broth for sauteeing vegetables
2 cups onions, chopped
2-4 fresh jalapenos, minced
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp sweet or smoked paprika
1 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
2 Tbsp. ancho chili powder
1 Tbsp. Arizona Dreaming spice seasoning mixture, optional
1 tsp. cumin
6-8 Roma tomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. ketchup
2-3 quarts vegetable broth, (according to how thick you want the liquid to be)
1 12 ounce dark lager beer
1 to 1 ½ Tbsp. salt
cilantro, chopped, for top of each serving, optional
lime wedges for squeezing on each serving






Soak beans according to your preferred method, (overnight or quick soak).  Discard soaking liquid.

In a large pan or dutch oven, heat oil or vegetable broth.  Add onions and jalapenos and sauté for approximately ten minutes.  Add garlic and sauté for another two minutes.  Add the chili powder, paprika, pepper, ancho chili powder, Arizona Dreaming seasoning, and cumin.  Stir and toast in the vegetable mixture for a few minutes.


Add the tomatoes, brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, vegetable broth, beer, and soaked beans.  Simmer for 45 minutes, then check for doneness of beans.  It may take up to 1 ½ hours for the beans to get to desired softness.  When beans are done or almost done, add salt. 



Serve
fresh cilantro and lime wedges on the side.

This is very good served over brown rice or with cornbread or corn tortillas.

Notes:  These are also fantastic to freeze and serve later.  With only a little more effort, you can make 10 meals instead of 4.  You just never know when you are going to need to whip out some "drunk" beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment