Tuesday, April 21, 2015

BEAN WEEK, (or maybe Beano week)

I do not know what I would do without beans.  I keep a few cans in the pantry, but mostly I use dried beans.  The flavor is so much better, the variety much more extensive, and there is a significant cost difference.

I cook a large amount of beans at one time, and freeze them in three to four serving portions.  I then heat them up slowly on the stove-top, and I think the flavor and texture actually improves.  Re-heating them in the microwave is do-able, but I don't think they are nearly as good flavor or texture wise.  That second heating really thickens the sauce and makes a creamier product.


We eat all kinds of beans-  azuki, black beans, anasazi, cannellini, cranberry, great Northern, navy, pinto, kidney, red beans, edemame, etc.

Most of the time I cook four pounds of beans at a time, unless it is a variety for which I have a more limited use.  This weekend I cooked four pounds of black beans and four pounds of pinto beans.  I took half of the pinto beans and made a recipe which I will share later this week, (which was delicious).




For years I could not make a good pot of beans to save my life.  We ate them, but they just weren't great.  Over time, I got the process down to the point that every pot of beans comes out good.  A lot of people make great beans in a crockpot, but for some reason when I tried to do them that way, they weren't very good.  I think I need more control over the heat possibly, or maybe I am just not crock pot savvy.

Here are some tips that got me on my way to great beans:  It is a must to sort through the beans.  Sometimes there are little rocks or balls of dirt which must be discarded.  An acquaintance told of having someone over for dinner.  She served beans, and one of her friends broke a tooth on a small pebble which had cooked in the beans.  That story has haunted me, so I am very diligent about sorting through the beans.  I also discard any bean halves or broken beans.  The way I sort is to put a piece of wax paper on the counter-top, pour a few beans onto it, sort, then pour into a colander for later washing after I have sorted through all the beans.

I always use the quick soak method, i.e., after washing beans, cover with water, (plus about two extra inches of water over the top of the beans in pan), and bring to a boil for two minutes.  Then let beans sit for one hour.  Now here is a little bean controversy- Most people then discard the soaking water, refill with fresh cold water, and then start the cooking process.  This supposedly helps with digestion of the beans.  I know of people who put dried beans in a crockpot, cover with water, and cook until done.  That disputes the rule of throwing out the soaking water.  I have tried it both ways, and I cannot tell the difference in whether either way is more easily digested.  This weekend I chickened out (sorry to my fine feathered friends), and threw out the soaking water.  The soaking water from the black beans was such a beautiful, dark color, that I sort of regretted throwing it out.  The beans turned out good, but the cooking liquid was not as pretty as that first soaking liquid that I had thrown out.  It also seems to me that we must surely be throwing away some nutrition in that soaking water.


The amount of time beans cook relies on the age of the dried beans and the size of the beans.  For smaller beans, I start checking them after about 40 minutes.  For larger beans, I start checking them at about 60 minutes.  It is important to cook them at a low, barely simmering temperature.  I think that is why crockpots work for a lot of people, just not me apparently.




It is very important that salt not be added until the beans are almost done.  This helps to prevent cracking of the skin of the bean.  I like my beans to be mostly intact, although I have cooked some white beans a little too long, resulting in cracked skins.  They looked more like soup, and had the most creamy texture and delicious flavor.

Beans are a healthy food to include in your diet.  They are low in calories, contain complex carbohydrates, have little fat and no cholesterol.  They are a good source of B vitamins, potassium, and fiber, which promotes digestive health.  Beans have been linked to prevention of colon cancer and reduction of blood cholesterol, which is a leading cause of heart disease.

Now that we eat so many beans, I am less likely to experience digestive issues with them.  So enjoy your beans, and pass the Beano if necessary.










Husband's note: My wife is big on always taking the high road.  I'm not that disciplined.  I have the humor of a 14 year old.  All I could think of while reading this post was the campfire scene from an American Classic, "Blazing Saddles."





No comments:

Post a Comment